Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Actually Some Positive News from NPR

From NPR's All Things Considered, May 14th: Making a Case in the U.S. for Iraqi Progress

"Barham Salih, a Kurd, is one of Iraq's deputy prime ministers. He talks with NPR's Michele Norris about why members of Congress said many of them are running out of patience with Iraq's leaders, and why he thinks an early U.S. pullout would be disastrous:"

Norris:

Now, Dr. Salih, I didn't hear in that answer a time frame. For many Americans, what they're uncomfortable with is this open-ended commitment.


Dr. Salih:

I don't think there should be an open-ended commitment. The reason I am avoiding a time frame per se is because I don't want to let the enemy know what the time frame will be, and I don't want him just to simply wait us out. If people think that this can be fixed in any given American cycle – political cycle – they will be proven wrong. This is very much like the Cold War. This is a long-term struggle. We need to be honest about that, clear about it, but I am readily willing to accept that the present posture of American deployment in Iraq may not be sustainable from a domestic point of view. How can we change that process so that it will be sustainable, so that we can win it and not let time be used against us?


I didn't think NPR had it in them.

No comments: