Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Ranks Of Our Military

Not all service members are high school drop-outs, eh?

“Do you know the Weekly Standard magazine?” Captain Covey asked me.

“Of course,” I said.

“My buddy Tom Cotton was just written up there,” he said. “It was pretty cool seeing him in that magazine.”

“What did he do to get in the magazine?” I said.

“He’s like me,” he said. “He’s a Harvard Law grad who joined the Army after 9/11. I’m an attorney.”

“You’re an attorney?” I said. “What are you doing out here in Iraq?”

“I practiced law for three years,” he said, “then got into investment banking. When 9/11 happened I just had to sign up with the Army. Investment banking is a lot more stressful than this.”

“You’re kidding, right?” I said.

“No,” he said and laughed. “I am totally serious.”

We're at war, aren't we? Not all Americans understand that. And though our voluntary military is not entirely made up of citizens looking to get revenge for 9/11, or to fight the war on terror, or to promote American democracy from the barrel of a gun, it's hopeful to see that some are that honorable, idealistic, and patriotic.

No comments: